Traditionally, the title of “World’s Greatest Athlete” goes to the winner of the Olympic decathlon. So after Ashton Eaton’s gold medal performance in Rio yesterday, it was time for 18 faithful Jax Pax to celebrate by taking a shot at their own decathlon title.
- 12 x SSH
- 10 x Merkins
- 10 x Peter Parker
Enough warmup, we’ve got work to do.
The Olympic Decathlon is four runs, three throws, and three jumps in the following order:
- 100 meter dash
- Long jump
- Shot put
- High jump
- 400 meter dash
- 110 meter hurdles
- Discus throw
- Pole vault
- Javelin throw
- 1500 meter run
- ~100 meter sprint to cones, Mucho Chesto, recover. Sprint back, Mucho Chesto.
- ~25 meter Broad jumps (long jump) to far cone in as few jumps as possible. Rinse and repeat.
- 3 x Shotput with broken bricks, crab walk to your piece
- 20 x Jump squats (high jump) IC. Rinse and repeat.
- ~400 meter sprint around half of walking path
- Railroad tracks (hurdles) – plank every 10 yards, hurdle pax, stop when all pax are holding plank and have completed a full rotation
- Discus – rotate throwing frisbee, run and do 10 Merkins at each place the frisbee lands (180 Merkins total)
- 20 x V-ups IC – couldn’t do actual pole vault, substitute a recommended core exercise for pole vault training
- 20 x Drunk Discos (side planks w/ ground touches) – same concept, didn’t have equipment for javelin so substitute recommended core exercise for cross body throwing movement
- 1500 meter run – start at back corner AO entrance, run to River Oaks Park (Kilimanjaro) and back (~0.4 mi. each way)
- Some pax were miffed about not being told their shotput effort would impact their crab walk distance. I can be a sneaky bastard when I want to be. Sue me.
- Heisenberg on using 100-year-old brick pieces for shotput: “Does this feel sacrilegious to you guys, throwing pieces of history across a field?”
- The discus event was generally agreed to be the most challenging, mostly because of the quantity of Merkins performed because of the strong turnout.
- The timing worked perfectly, which was a pleasant surprise, and we were able to complete all 10 events in an hour, finishing the 1500M at 8:01.
Announcements, Thoughts & Prayers:
- Sept. 3 – Biiiiing pool party
- Labor Day – Snuffy Q’ing Genesis @ 0700, Biiiing Q’ing UNF ruck @ 0900
- Drone & M – struggles with depression & anxiety related to pregnancy and life changes, gratitude for support from pax
- Good Hands – temporarily out of commission because of anomaly on cardiac exam
- Farah – traveling to Nevada
- Big Bird – starting half marathon training Monday