At Anthill 10/31 we will do our third fitness check (previously the MANatee and Burpee/Merkin/Situp/Pullup challenge) to track our improvement. The beep or bleep test is a widely used method to measure cardiovascular fitness and max oxygen uptake (VO2 max).
How it Works
- Place markers 20 meters apart (65.5 ft) apart.
- Position yourself, or athletes, at one of the markers.
- Press the start button of the Beep Fitness Test app.
- Run 20 meters to the opposite marker, getting there before the next beep sounds.
- Wait there until the beep sounds before running back to the other marker.
- Repeat this process for each shuttle until you are unable to keep up with the beeps. Remember, you must wait for the beep before starting the next shuttle.
- When you miss a beep you must continue to run to the marker in front of you, turn at the end, and try to catch up with the pace within 2 more beeps. The test ends when you fail to reach the opposite marker for two consecutive beeps.
- Your final score is the last level and shuttle you completed before missing a beep.
The speed at the start of the test is quite slow, however it will increase with each level. A level lasts approximately 1 minute and the entire test requires an increase in speed from 8 km/h to 18.6 km/h.
- Listen to the app do you know what level and shuttle we are on.
- Once you are done with the test (you don’t complete a shuttle before the beep) record the last level and shuttle you completed on a sheet on a clipboard.
- Cheer on those remaining, but it’s F3 so while cheering them on: 50 merkins, 100 squats, 15o LBCs
- We will take the results and put them on Xenu’s accountability sheet; and we will do it again in early 2018
Some sites with more info:
Here are standards to compare your results: Remember, if you are over 50 you win if you don’t die.