21 PAX left their fartsacks to post in the gloom at the Badlands to learn that winning the fight in your mind is key to living third! YHC rolled into Davis Park for his inaugural VQ to find a light rain misting just in time for the PAX. As PAX show up one describes this morning as the “definition of gloom”. Little did PAX know YHC had already visited the AO twice in a 12 hour period hoping for rain; all while playing the Rocky Theme Song on repeat envisioning the beat down. Anticipation level is high. Mad Hatter showed up with Mafia hair as a tribute to YHC VQ. PAX had an over/under poll to see if VQ anxiety would keep YHC up all night (Tony Soprano reference)…but YHC had been pursuing proper personal alignment the night before practicing breathe control as a bridge to mental toughness. Qdrenaline kicked in and the workout began!
COP – YHC still working out kinks on word sequence but cadence was pretty good.
- For Starters… 10 Burpees OYO remembering PAX Osteen who went for pizza and beers the night before and fartsacked in St. Augustine with his fam
- 15 Side Straddle Hops IC
- 15 Peter Parkers IC
- 10 Chinook Squats IC
- 10 Nancy Kerrigan’s with little baby arm circles IC (Tonya Harding not present – all kneecaps intact)
- 10 Hillbillies IC
- 10 Werewolfs IC (Mumble chattering about YHC’s yoga practice)
Breathing Exercise (4 count inhale/exhale) while YHC handed out red and blue Rubber Bands and dropped some third-F wisdom for the PAX to think about. “Men, the battle of life is won or lost in your mind! Think about your Purpose and Meaning. Repeat it in your head. Is it intrinsic or extrinsic? Or are you defined by someone else’s expectations, your circumstances, etc.? When your thoughts and attitude go negative… “SNAP out of it” and remember your purpose, be grateful and embrace the moment. This is NOT positive thinking, this is NOT changing your circumstance…this is forging mental toughness!”
Mosey to third parking lot “beginning with purpose in mind” and explained to PAX to SNAP rubber band every time your mind starts to get negative. YHC decided to test the PAX by teaching the “Toe Mosey” to get the calves warmed up…Mumble Chatter ensues about shin splints…SNAP!
- Once on Football field PAX immediately notice a progression of orange cones every 10 yards. As a mental test YHC calls out first exercise is “100 Burpees”. YHC SNAPS rubber band on wrist for dramatic effect then explained that YHC picked the Burpee because we can all get better at Burpees and to get better we need to focus on the details of the Burpee.
- So the first exercise was “The Deconstructed Burpee Ladder” Partner Up. 10 Squats, 10 jump-backs, 10 Merkins, 10 jump-ups…Repeat, 9,8,7,6….last set you will do 1 Bropee. 10 yard run in between sets to next cone. Plank til six arrives.
YHC gave the PAX something to think about (other than burpee mumble chatter) “Easy is for the weak so we should get comfortable with being uncomfortable” Hint, it’s about to get uncomfortable
- Next exercise “Johnny Roscoes” PAX line up, chopping feet. “YHC calls out Right/Left” all PAX hit the ground, butt roll then Merkin, back to feet, run to next cone, chopping again. Repeat 100 yards to keep PAX warm and covered in morning dew and dirt.
Mosey to baseball dirt and clay area for the fight of PAX life. “You must do the hard things to win!” YHC brought own personal heavy sandbag collection (approx. 40lb’s ea)
- “Mayweather vs. McGregor” – (Partner up to go 12 Rounds approx. 30 secs ea.)
- Round 1 and 2: American Hammers IC + 10 Mike Tysons OYO
- Round 3 and 4: Box Cutters IC + Ground & Pound OYO (Partner run to dirt pile during Ground & Pound then switch) – PAX starting to have a little fun or imagining Q when punching sandbags
- Round 5 and 6: Stump Huggers IC + Rocky Balboas (30 secs) …Looked like a Riverdance
- Round 7 and 8: LBC’s IC + Curb Merkins Right & Left (x10ea)
- Round 9 and 10: Scissor Kicks IC + Sandbag Punches (Partner Holds Heavy Bag then switch)
- Round 11 and 12: Freddie Mercury’s (Bicycles) IC + Al Gore Hugging a heavy bag (Partner Runs then Switch) – PAX forging mental toughness and warrior spirit emerging so YHC has PAX rinse and repeat Al Gores with heavy bag.
- Mosey to Dog Walk for “Rocky vs. Apollo Creed” YHC gave the PAX something to think about “We might be average men but by God we are going to work harder than the average man!”
- Two PAX partner up for a brisk run around a poop and almost apocalypto dog walk area then AYG like Rocky and Apollo did in Rocky 3 while training for his fight with Clubber Lane. PAX energy level still good so 5 Tempo Merkins IC.
- Mosey back to flagpole where somehow PAX Skim had the competitive attitude of a warrior which called for another impromptu AYG for the PAX.
COT/BOM – No FNG’s
Romans 12:2 tells us to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
“Remember, the battle will be won or lost in your mind. The only way we can transform our mind and emotions is to renew our minds with truth and take the focus off self and circumstances!”
Prayer Requests: McDreamy’s doctor exam, Fires in CA, PAX Jockstrap fractured hand, Our minds being renewed.