Pride is my everyday struggle, my sin of choice. As a man I tight-rope that line between confidence (seen as a good thing) and arrogance (seen as a bad thing), stumbling over onto the arrogance side daily.
John C. Maxwell explains the balancing act like this, “There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. ‘Good pride’ represents our dignity and self-respect. ‘Bad pride’ is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.”
In the last 8 months F3 has helped me construct guard rails along that line between good and bad pride and they become higher and more permanent by the day. Because the 1st F is great at stripping away arrogance, because it is difficult to maintain when you can’t breath and you look around and you’re solidly middle of the PAX. 2nd and 3rd F will not allow individual arrogance. It will take that individual arrogance and move it to pride in the PAX, pride in the man next to you, pride in your community.
If you haven’t posted to a workout or have only come once, I would guess that pride factors heavily into that decision. You may say it is a busy schedule, the early hour, or the location, but look deeper. Somewhere down inside you are scared that your pride will take a hit- that you’re not in good enough shape, that you won’t keep up, that you’ll embarrass yourself. What you don’t realize is that watching someone put away individual pride and struggle next to us day after day to get better (and you will) is now where we place OUR pride. And that is the good kind of pride, the kind that builds guard rails on the line to keep you from conceit and arrogance. So if you are 60 pounds overweight and haven’t exercised in 4 years, pride can literally kill you if you let it. Put away your individual pride, come join us, and find pride in something bigger.
SYITG for some #GetBetter,
- Get your new F3 JAX regional gear here- http://f3.mudgear.com/products/f3-jax-impact-shirt-pre-order
- Brunswick Bridge Run 2/13 YHC is your Q
- F3 St. Simon’s Launch 3/5 Big Bird is your Q
- Gate River Run 3/12 Eileen is your Q
JAX REGION WORKOUTS-
- Monday GENESIS 0530-0615 at 9A/Baymeadows Park
- Monday 0530-0615 running workout at Friendship Fountain
- Tuesday ANTHILL 0530-0615 at Southside Park
- Thursday BOHICA 0530-0615 at Southside Park
- Saturday ANCHOR 0700-0800 at Alexandria Oaks Park; running pre-workout mosey at 0600-0645