- When: 06/20/17
- QIC: Feud
- The PAX: SOD, Throat Swab, Dr. Okie, Jumanji, Heisenberg, Gecko, Celary Salt, Biiiiing, Twinsie, LIFO, PUD, Boswer (respect), Xenu (respect), Toxic (double respect- Happy Birthday), Synapse (respect), Slab, Bantam, Pyro, Drone, Turf Toe (Wyatt-FNG)
21 PAX including 1 FNG arrived at ANTHILL in the gloom for a little history lesson. Being a proud native of West “by God” Virginia, YHC thought it would be a good time to provide a few little facts and trivia about the Mountain State. Afterall, it was 156 years ago today that West Virginia was granted statehood. So let us begin…
Fact #1: West Virginia became the 35th state in the union on this date in 1863. It is the only state in the Union to have acquired its sovereignty by proclamation of the President of the United States, and the only state to be developed from another existing state. When, in 1861, 40 delegates of the western counties of Virginia opposed Virginia’s secession from the union and formed their own government.
- SSH x35 IC
- Hillbilly x10 IC
- Toy Soldier x10 IC
- Big Arm Circles Forward/backwards x10 IC
- Diamond merkins x10
- LBC x 15 IC
Fact #2: Coal is one of the main industries in West Virginia. Unfortunately, with the development of alternate forms of energy, this has caused economic hardship in the state. Mining for coal often requires the use of dynamite, hence, the PAX partnered up for an explosive first exercise:
- BOMBS: Partner 1 runs to end side walk and back while partner 2 starts exercising, the switch. Prescribed reps performed as a team
- B: Burpees x50
- O: Overhead clap in air chair x100
- M: Merkins x 150
- B: Big Boy Sit Ups x200
- S: Squats x250
Fact #3: The mean altitude of 1500 feet, giving it the highest average altitude east of the Mississippi, hence the WV became known as the Mountain State.
- Mountain Climber Suicides: 10, 15. 20, 25 (count one leg)
Fact #4: Famous people from WV: George Brett, Jerry West, Randy Moss, Don Knots, Mary Lou Retton, Chuck Yeager, Steve Harvey, Nick Saban, Michael W. Smith
- Mountain Climber Merkin Suicides: 5, 10, 15, 20 (count the merkin)
Fact #5: State tree: Sugar Maple, State bird: Cardinal, State animal: black bear.
- 1 burpee : 4 bear crawl steps, continue to first cone
- 2 burpees: 4 bear crawl steps, back to baseline
Time expired prior to other interesting facts YHC wanted to present, but if interested, the PAX can Google “longest shot made in a college basketball game” and “New River Gorge Bridge”.
Those who do not know their history or doomed to repeat it. We all have at some point in our lives have made mistakes, have skeletons in our closet, or baggage that can weigh us down. It is important to recognize and understand our history so that we can learn to avoid the same mistakes in the future. Then we can pass on what we have learned from our mistakes to our children. I have a chance to go back to my hometown of Huntington, WV this year. I am excited to show my kids where I grew up. It is important to remember where you came from so you understand who you are, how you got here, and where you are going. I also feel it is important for your children to know this about their family as well.
- Synapse in his pursuit of reactivating his real estate license
- Bowser’s interview for a promotion
- Biiiiing for patience with potential job opportunities and his M for her presentation in South Carolina.
- Future Q school and possible expansion to other areas of JAX
Best backblast ever. video is a nice touch. One of my favorite songs.