22 PAX posted including 1 FNG to become intimately acclimated with their new friend “Pain.” Contrary to what society puts out, Pain is our Friend. A comfortable life will not make us stronger but friction and discomfort will. YHC arrived early to Poseidon to meet Knockout and Jumangi for pre-beatdown Dolly. Logged 4.29 miles with some good second F on this unseasonably cool morning in Jax Beach. When we arrive back at AO, Seinfeld has already setup the field. Backstory: Wrangler had the co-Q with YHC, but the IR crippled him and The Force couldn’t fix it like in Star Wars. YHC recruited Seinfeld for the warmup because he is reliable and much anticipated by the PAX. As such, he scores a 100% for preparedness and cadence. YHC had a great 90’s alternative rock playlist queued up for the PAX and even figured out that he could become a mobile DJ if he put the speaker in his ruck sack. PAX begin to arrive around 0645 and the second F acceleration continues from the previous nights Happy Hour. Mummblechatter about YHCs ‘material girl singlet’ and zero-time fitness model award winner status. Some things we learned during the beatdown…Spoiler Alert:
- Knockout’s run cadence is pristine and equally pristine is Seinfeld’s Warmup cadence.
- Osteen is not afraid to flash his Franks n’ Beans at the PAX during the warmup
- Papa Smurf is a ‘sneaky fast’ 59 year old in the mile run and a half of a lap lead is hard to overcome
- Crash does kips when he does a pull-up
- Sand volleyball courts make a great beach to meet up with your new friend “Pain”, but you must burn your boat so you have no way out (DFQ)
- Some of us suck at frisbee but Pom Pom, well, he is an ultimate frisbee warrior and lays out for anything at all costs.
- The Force as usual uses his Jedi powers to intercept frisbees
- Shirts versus Skins (if only all of us were half the man Sandcrab is at 59…respect)
- Welcome FNG Franks n’ Beans…ironically you got stuck with a nickname by Osteen but it works
The Warmorama (Led by Seinfeld)
- Side Straddle Hops IC
- Hillbillies IC
- Abe Vigoda (Slow Toy Soldier) IC
- Chair Chinooks IC
- 1 Minute Plank (Intro to the workout)
Quote: “There is no manual on life so you end up comparing yourself to the next guy and then the next. If you want to be great, STOP doing that. Compare yourself to yourself of yesterday. Are you better or worse? We live in a society where mediocrity is often rewarded but today you will be rewarded on how hard you work”
Run Forest Run
Exercise: Clydesdales get head start and have to complete an 8/10ths of Mile or 2 laps (full speed) Fastholes have to complete 1 mile run or 2.5 laps (If a clydesdale beats a fasthole, then ALL fastholes get 25 Gorilla Humpers IC).
Outcome: Papa Smurf of the clydesdales crushed the run and beat most of the fastholes. McDreamy led the group in Gorilla Humpers and thankfully all participated)
Quote: “It doesn’t matter how slow you went because you are still lapping everyone on the couch”
Pain is My Friend (Pain is my Friend Video)
Quote: “If you want to grow, do something that sucks everyday of your life…be willing to suffer. I may not be the strongest, I may not be the fastest, but I am really good at suffering”
Location: Basketball court
Exercise: 4 minutes of Planking w/Merkins performed when the word “Pain” is mentioned in the Pain is my friend Video (30+ merkins but it felt like a whole lot more) As mummblechatter started to pick up YHC would just say the word “Pain” for extra merkins.
Quote: This is usually where everyone start to manage expectations…“Stop managing expectations. Quit fearing failure. There is no managing expectations. Without friction there is no growth”
Exercise: 30 Pull-Ups – Not timed – approx. 5 minutes (Extra hanging knees to chest for fastholes when done) Sets of 5 or 10 with the same amount of squats in between sets.
Quote: We have arrived in Paradise. First, burn your boat and then build a wall around your mind that will not allow you to quit this exercise. Just think of this beach as Hawaii and you’ll never want to leave.
Location: Sand Volleyball Courts
Exercise: Partner Burpee Test – 100 combined burpees while partner does 50 flutter kicks laying in the sand (25 ea. leg) then switch until 100 burpees complete
Modification: 100 Deconstructed burpees + flutter kicks
Dad Bod Crusher
Quote: “If it doesn’t suck, we don’t do it”
Exercise: Partner Big Boy Sit-ups in 4 minutes (40 – 30 – 20 -10 AMRAP until 4 mins – Switch each rep ladder)
Ultimate Warrior Frisbee
Quote: “If you don’t challenge yourself, you don’t know yourself… Now that you’ve paid the man and made pain your friend you’ve earned a little fun”
Exercise: Teams advance the frisbee by throwing/catching the frisbee to reach the other teams end zone for a point.
- Team Names: ‘Slipped Discs’ vs. ‘Mother Huckers’
- Thrower (guy with frisbee) cannot move
- Defense on Thrower – 3 yd safe zone
- Turnovers (frisbee hits the ground or intercepted) – turnover team does 1 burpee before playing defense
- Scores – defense does an exercise to the other end zone chosen by scoring team. (Options: – Bear crawls, Crawl Bears, Lunges, Crab walk, Duck Walk)
Mother Huckers defeated Slipped Discs #rematchcomingsoon
1 FNG – Franks N’ Beans
YHC shared a scripture from James 1:2, we’re told to consider it “pure joy” when we’re faced with challenges, trials, and obstacles, because they test our faith and makes us stronger.
Think about that: The God who created you and loves you cares about your growth. And the way He has designed you to grow is through challenges. When you work out your muscles grow stronger. When you do hard things, you grow, both in character and in practical areas of competence. If we want to grow we need to get over the idea that God’s love means He wants us to go through life with as little effort or discomfort as possible. That’s simply NOT true!
Prayer requests: Wrangler shoulder, Check Please achilles, Other injured PAX