Being the father of an Autistic son, April 2nd, National Autism Awareness Day, was a special day to Q for YHC! YHC was greeted by 9 men, eager to work out and not knowing what was in store for them. WarmupS began with “Light it up Blue” bracelets handed out and an explanation of what today was and the month of April. (Autism Awareness Month)
Warmups in Cadence: (28 representing the number of days left in February to “Light it up Blue.”)
*The Reacher (28)
The THANG:(Yes, we had music!)
*Normal 10 counts would be replaced with a fact, or facts, on Autism and individuals with Special Needs. (Facts to be summarized at the end of BB)
*Mosey to lot 1, circle up.
*28 Merkins, 28 LBCs, Bear Crawl around circle.
*Mosey to lot 2, circle up.
*28 Merkins, 28 LBCs, Crawl Bear around circle.
*Mosey to lot 3, circle up.
*28 Merkins, 28 LBCs, Lunge around circle.
*Mosey back to lot 2, circle up.
*Each PAX performs Australian Snow Angels while each member runs around circle.
*Line up at Curb
*Ascending Curb Crawl (Bear Crawl to Curb, 1 Merkin, Bear Crawl back, 2 Merkins, etc., until 10 Merkins are reached)
*Mosey back to lot 1, circle up
*Bat Wings (28 forward LBACs, 28 Seal Claps, 28 backward LBACs, 28 Overhead Claps)
*Line up at curb
*Apple Turnover (Bear Crawl to curb, flip and Crab Walk back. Repeat 5 rounds.)
*Mosey back to flag in between pylons.
*COT, Announcements and Prayer Requests.
*Matthew 7:1, “Don’t pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults – unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It’s easy to see a smudge on your neighbor’s face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor.”
Remember, individuals with special needs JUST WANT TO BE ACCEPTED!!!!!
Autism by the Numbers
• 70 million people worldwide have.
• Affects 1 in 59 people.
• Affects 1 in 37 boys. (Nearly 4 times more than girls)
• Affects 1 in 151 girls.
• More children will be diagnosed with Autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes & cancer combined.
• New case of Autism is diagnosed nearly every 20 minutes.
• Drowning is the leading cause of death of individuals with Autism.
• 65% of parents reported that their children had been victimized by peers in some way in the past year.
• 12% indicated their child had never been invited to a birthday part.
• 6% were almost always picked last for teams
• 3% at alone at lunch EVERY day.
• According to CDC, approximately 1 in 6 boys and 1 in 4 girls suffer from sexual abuse before the age of 18.
• Child with intellectual disabilities was four times more likely to be sexually abused than a child without.
• Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the US, yet most underfunded.
• Autism costs the nation $268 billion per year.
• Autism receives approximately 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases.
• Funding Comparison
o Leukemia 1 in 25,000, $310 million in funding.
o Muscular Dystrophy 1 in 20,000, $175 million in funding.
o Pediatric AIDS 1 in 8,000, $394 million in funding.
o Juvenile Diabetes 1 in 500, $130 million in funding.
o Autism 1 in 59, $42 million in funding.