6 HIM of Fleming Island, including 1 young FNG, made the decision to get better and posted in the gloom at Asgard. It was announced that this would be a Q-school themed beatdown and a couple of pax members came in right as the bell sounded. YHC was relatively late due to forgetting something he would need later on, so he booked it back home to retrieve said object and returning with just enough time to set up and start class.
COP- Using the teacher’s guide as provided by Jumanji Publishing, YCH first reviewed the pre-beatdown role of the Q (arrive early to welcome the PAX and any FNGs, provide 5 and 1-minute warnings). He then reviewed the intricacies of the COP: introduction, disclaimer, naming the exercise, instructing the Pax to move into the starting position, announce if the exercise is IC or OYO, command to exercise, importance of voice inflection, and recovery. With that, we began to role
- SSH x20 IC
- Hillbilly x15 IC
- Don Quixote x10 IC
- Reach throughs x10 IC
- LBAC forward/backwards, Raise the Roof x10 IC
- Squats x10 IC
First period: Math
- Addition/Subtraction with a Six-Pack at the playground
- 5 pull-ups, 1 merkin; 4 pull-ups, 2 merkins, etc…, down to 1 pull-up, 5 merkins
- Continue to go until six is in
- Geometry and the Jacksonville Isosceles Triangle of Death
- With partner, bear crawl cone to cone (counterclockwise fashion) with descending burpees starting at 10 and continuing until down to 1 burpe
Second Period: English Lit
This was one of YHC favorite subjects in school (NOT). Which is probably why he struggles even today with reading anything longer than 10 pages
- Focus this period was on the novel The Scarlet Letter. Unfortunately for the PAX, that letter was “Q” as in Quarter Pounder
- Run 25 yards, 25 merkins, run backwards to the start line
- Run 50 yards, 50 squats, run backwards to the start line
- Run 75 yards, 75 mountain climbers (count 1 leg) run backwards to the start line
- Run 100 yards, 100 SSH, run backwards to start line
- Circle back for the six
Third Period: Spelling
- Use alphabet on board to perform exercises based on letters of partner’s F3 name
- Continue exercising, spelling Q School, until all pax are don
Fourth Period: History
- Pax learned about Alexander Hamilton and his determination to succeed through the song, My Shot from the Broadway musical Alexander Hamilton
- Pax ran in place, butt-kicked, etc, until the word “Shot” was sung and the proceeded to perform a burpee
- For those of you that know the song, starts of rather mild, but ends in a flurry
- For those pax able to keep up, 30 burpees were completed (I think, hehe).
Exam time: Each HIM was given a chance to lead the pax in a COT-style exercise. Each had to verbalize the intro and disclaimer prior to beginning:
- Crotchless: Iron Mikes x10 IC
- Hatch: SSH x20 IC
- Sasquatch: Michael Phelps x15 IC
- What Up: Little Baby Arm Circles forward x20 IC
- 2 MOM
- V-ups x20 OYO
- Flutter kicks x16 I
Naked Mole Skin
- Gladiator will be a force to be reckoned with!
- Grades were handed out with each pax receiving an “F”… F3 that is.
- Each pax member also received a copy of the Q Guidelines
- YHC endorsed Freed to Lead as a good source for new members to become better acquainted with the history, lingo, and mission of F3. He then signed a copy of the book and handed off to Hatch. Idea is that he will read, sign and then pass on to another Asgardian.
YHC spoke of taking a step toward learning to lead other men by being courageous and Q-ing. YHC never thought he would ever lead a group of men in exercise. Never crossed his mind. And the first time he did, it felt awkward, but he kept doing it, and, with the encouragement and guidance of the Pax, got better. YHC encouraged others to do the same to better themselves, so that they in turn can better others. Afterall, as Jumanji put it, F3 is not meant to be a consumer organization. While men get a solid workout, it really is a leadership development program. The Sky Q made us to be leaders for our families, work, church, or wherever he plants us.
YHC also endorsed coffeeteria and the importance of the 2nd F and take that opportunity to better know your fellow pax.
Prayers said for Lord’s guidance in our lives and for the wisdom to always choose right. Also asked for guidance for our choice of elected officials, and for the safety of our children and teachers as school resumes next week.
- Lord’s Prayer