We started off Hard Knocks with a recitation of March’s Core Value: “We are our brother’s keeper, engaging in each other’s lives beyond the superficial to move from friendship to fellowship.” Let that one mentally marinate, gentlemen, especially the “beyond the superficial to move from friendship to fellowship” language. It takes two to make that happen — someone who is willing to reach out, and someone who is willing to open up. YHC wrestles with the latter. Think about what you could do better. One thing for all us to keep in mind — be proactive. You see a brother in need? Reach out, lend a hand (or maybe better yet, lend an ear.) You don’t see a brother for a while? Reach out, let him know you’re there for him. We are stronger together! On to the workout…
* Michael Phelps
* Big Baby Arm Circles
* Down Dog / High Plank / Up Dog
* Li’l mosey over to the field
A couponed version of Dora. Each brother grabbed a paver (5 – 6 lbs). Two yard markers were set up in the field, a bucket 75 yards away, and two pavers 25 yards out. Partner up.
* P1 runs, carrying one paver above the shoulder, does 20 merkins at the bucket, runs back to P2. P2 does monkey humpers. Switch, and repeat 2x.
* P1 bear crawls to pavers, runs back. P2 does side plank leg raises. Repeat 2x.
* P1 runs, carrying one paver above the shoulder, 5 burpees at the bucket. P2 does BBSU. Repeat 2x.
* P1 runs, carrying one paver above the shoulder, 20 Bobby Hurleys at the first island. P2 does mountain climbers. Repeat 2x.
* P1 runs, carrying one paver above the shoulder, 10 groiners at the bucket. P2 does LBCs. Repeat 2x.
* P1 broad jumps out to the pavers, runs back. P2 does brickees. Repeat 2x.
* P1 lunges to the pavers, lunges back. P2 does heels to heaven. Repeat 2x.
Some quality mumblechatter today, arguably highlighted by Saigon Sam’s remarkably detailed instruction on how to avoid man sex when imprisoned. No one dared to probe the origins of his knowledge, though it may trace back to the week he involuntarily spent at a Guatemalan insane asylum when he inadvertently mistook it as a friendly hostel on a Central American backpacking tour in the early 1990s. Saigon Sam’s advice, of course, reminded Zamboni of the Boola Boola joke, the short of which is this — when faced with the choice of death or Boola Boola, always choose the latter, were you can put SS’s helpful advice into actual practice.
* Lot of announcements, including the Farm workout coming up this Saturday (will keep it tight, maybe 10 guys, so as not to overwhelm the new folks); Pat Tillman 4.2 mile run in later April, and bring clothing/shoes/food this Thursday for a Friday drop-off at Trinity Rescue Mission.
* Prayers for needs unspoken, and for the strength and awareness to truly serve as our brother’s keeper.