On the of my Hemorrhagic stroke from a ruptured brain aneurysm.
MESSAGE: So WHAT WILL YOU DO DIFFERENTLY TODAY?
Traumatic Brain Injury A Journey of Hope, Surviving and Thriving
23 Strong at Hard Nocs!
Gave a Brief overview of my stroke:
An estimated 6.7 million people in the United States have an unruptured brain aneurysm or 1 in 50 people.
- Most people believe that strokes are an issue for the elderly, this is not true – Brain aneurysms are most prevalent in people ages 35 to 60, but can occur in children as well. Most aneurysms develop after the age of 40. I was 43.
Every 40 seconds, someone in the United States has a stroke.2 Every 3 minutes and 14 seconds, someone dies of stroke.1
6 primary symptoms
- Sudden numbness or weakness of face, arm, or leg, especially on one side
- Sudden trouble walking
- Sudden confusion or trouble understanding
- Sudden trouble speaking
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden Severe Headache
What do I do different I follow ALL the
What can you do? 7 ways to prevent stroke:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Control your blood pressure
- Don’t Smoke
- Get tested for Diabetes
- Have your cholesterol and triglyceride levels checked
- Find healthy ways to deal with stress
- Drink no more than one drink of alcohol per day
WARM UP –
- Stretching: Limp Member, Down Dog, Valdez,
- Mosey to Trailer Park
- SSH I/C
- Reacher I/C
- Hillbilly I/C
- The Flutter Kick I/C
THE THANG: – The Deck of Death
You never know what the card the game of life is going to deal you, and now your going to have to deal with the hand that is dealt!
- 4 Teams
- Must bear crawl to get the card and walk/mosey back
- Entire team must complete exercise before next person can crawl for next card.
- Face cards = 10
- Ace = 15
- Take the TOP CARD ONLY or take a 20 Burpee penalty!!
SPADES – Burpees
HEARTS – Box Jumps Modification – step ups 2=1
CLUBS – BBSU
DIAMONDS – Diamond Merkins
JOKER – 5 of each of all exercises
Ended faster than Expected –
Tunnel of Love
Bonus round of 5 each BBSU, Merkins, Box Jumps, Burpees
Mosey back to HN, where we completed various Ab exercises and a little stretching.
So TODAY I ask you to reflect, and then ask yourself What will you do differently? And don’t just say it, write it down, set goals, and do it, live it.
In the immortal words of Nickleback “
if today was your last day
And tomorrow was too late?
Could you say goodbye to yesterday?
- Each Days a gift and not a given right
- Would you live each moment like your last
- Every second counts because there’s no second try
- ‘Cause the hands of time are never on your side
- So live like you’ll never live it twice
Don’t take the free ride in your own life
But what do I do different in my life vs 9 years ago!!
- Stay healthy.
- Be the best husband, father, brother, son, friend, I can be.
- Servant Leadership – Put others first
- Make amends quickly – Saying I’m sorry & meaning it.
- Forgiving others, and forgiving myself.
- Helping others – spreading the word (symptoms) Helping others someone in my situation – regardless of how they received their Brain Trauma. Tell my story and be available to support.
- If what I went through can help just one person think about things differently, then maybe my challenges were not all in vain
So I ask you…….. IF YOU KNEW TODAY was your last day, What would you do differently? Because one of these days, it WILL be your last day but only the god of your understanding knows when that is.
So Live your life to the fullest.
The Music – if today was your last day:
Simple Minds – Don’t you forget about me
Nickleback – If today was your last day
Guns n Roses – Knocking on Heavens door
Steam – na na hey hey kiss him goodbye
Metalica – Fade to Black
Queen – the show must go on
Skid Row – I remember you
Bon Jovi – never say goodbye
Iron Maiden – Hallowed be thy name
Blue Oyster Cult – don’t fear the reaper
Norman Greenbaum – Spirit in the sky
Queen – another one bites the dust